Friday, April 30, 2010

knicker redemption


Amongst all the sewing for Milo, I really tried to make a shirt for myself for Spring Top Week. I even took a course a few weeks ago at the workroom to learn how to knock-off your favourite clothes - so I felt more than prepared. I could accept that the first try at my knocked-off pattern didn't work, but I felt like I'd solved the problems and I even made a muslin copy to be sure it would work before cutting into the grey shirting I had chosen. But after 4 precious Milo-is-napping-Sadie-is-at-school sessions, I had to give up. The shirt is officially "frumpalicious". Jay quickly agreed, after first asking if I had meant the shirt to be "pilgrim" style. All in all, a total failure on top of the many clothing failures I've had this past year. And so I started to think that I should stick to sewing for Sadie and Milo and just give up on myself.

Enter...knickers. Yes, knickers (hey, that's what the pattern calls them, and it sounds way better to say, "I made a pair of knickers today"). After a post on Angry Chicken a while (maybe years) ago I bought this awesome pattern off Etsy and even though I'd read it through and decided it wouldn't be too hard, the pattern still sat around. But in a last ditch attempt to sew for myself, I figured I'd give knickers a try. And it was just what I needed - they were quick, fun to make, and I learned something new (ahh, the magic of fold-over-elastic). I used hemp jersey in the bikini height version, and the retro pattern means that they have ample bum room, which is perfect in my book. Since I could order more hemp jersey in any colour I want from here, and get matching fold-over-elastic from here (both are Canadian companies) I now have the urge to make a whole bunch of these because the utilitarian in me loves the idea of having a drawer full of matching underwear.

So while I may take a break from sewing woven fabric garments for myself, I am going to keep going in the world of knit fabrics. I picked up Wendy Mullin's Sew U Home Stretch and I'm pretty excited to try a boat neck t-shirt. But since sewing for Sadie and Milo always works out, I've joined Elsie Marley's Kids Clothes Week Challenge. What can I say? Sewing an hour a day for my little people sounds like a great way to spend a week. I may even make Sadie some knickers of her own.

1 comments :

meg said... [Reply to comment]

screwing up grown up clothes sucks. They take forever (and tons of material) and take even longer to fix. Undies though, I never thought of that, they look quick quick quick. It's good to have a project you know you can do well and you need. Helps with the ego. I'm going to check out that pattern right now!