Saturday, January 23, 2010

cashmere cowboy







I had totally forgotten the thing I love about sewing: speed. There is nothing like having an idea as you are putting your 5 year old to bed, walking into the sewing room once she's asleep and an hour later having a cute little vest done. Meaning a certain little boy can wear it the very next day.

A year or so ago, our good friend Dave passed along a couple of damaged cashmere sweaters for me to use. I'd always imagined making dolls out of them, but I haven't had a doll in my head for ages now. Clearly I'm rather vest-obsessed, and I realized I could make use of the neck leaving me only two seams to sew. Of course I had to cover the holes (darn moths!) which led to the machine stitched parts on the chest, and I threw in a pocket in case Milo needs to stash something important. Then some cowboy-inspired bias tape finished off the rough parts. It fits like a charm but has room for Milo to grow, so we just might get two seasons out of it.

There is still a pink sweater to figure out and now that the 5 year old is awake, she's decided a vest like her baby brother's would be perfect. Could my vest obsession be contagious?

3 comments :

lamb-things said... [Reply to comment]

samantha, I love the vest and the sitting-up cowboy.....

t does wool said... [Reply to comment]

hehe...this is adorable!!!!

Rima said... [Reply to comment]

This is the coolest baby thing I have seen in a long time.