Saturday, December 26, 2009

pompom fun


There was a time when I thought you required Buddhist patience to make pompoms. The whole 'cut two cardboard circles and thread massive amounts of yarn through the center' idea seemed simply ludicrous. Then one magical day I saw the Clover pompom makers and I laughed at my naivete (it was like the day I found out that a sewing machine could wind a bobbin BY ITSELF, bringing an end to years of winding them by hand with a pencil). But I hadn't really sat down and made a few until this week, and now I can't stop.

I'll have to thank the friend who needed 3 pompoms for a craft she's working on because that is what started my mini-addiction. And it's not just me - Sadie thinks these are great fun and she has the patience to sit and wind the yarn, and even cut them open (with supervision, of course). We decorated our gifts with them, hung them on the tree - I mean, bucket of dead branches - and I know we need to put some on hats next. Or a bunting style garland out of them. So many options. And it turns out they are a great way to pass the time at 3am when your teething, I'm-almost-crawling baby just won't sleep, not to mention being a perfect way to use up leftover balls of yarn. See? Totally addicted.

Hope all your holidays are merry and bright!

3 comments :

Amy said... [Reply to comment]

So funny--the exact same thing happened to us this week! It was as though the heavens parted when we realized you don't need those cardboard cheerios...We can't stop! And we have no use for them, so I'm thinking in a bowl on the ottoman for impromptu juggling. Or a garland? We'll see...Happy new year to you and your sweet, beautiful family!...

petite gourmand said... [Reply to comment]

love them...
we spell grandma- "gramma" too.
happy new year!

lamb-things said... [Reply to comment]

Samantha, I hung the pom-poms on the knobs of my favourite end table-chest and they look great. There must be all kinds of uses.