Wednesday, June 13, 2012

tweaking



I may be over doing it on the selfish knitting front. It's just that I've been fixated this year on making a sweater that I would really wear. All the time. Even though Katrine worked out, I'm mostly convinced that having a go-to customized pattern is the best bet. And so I made a few tweaks to my pattern for this sweater and tried another wool - this time some Naturally Sensation that was on sale at Romni. I used this wool last year for a wrap vest, and it's quite lovely. There's a bit of angora in it so it feels rather decadent.



My tweaks consisted of adding way more short rows around the collar, starting the sleeves a bit sooner and losing the buttonhole altogether. It's almost there - I think one more attempt and I'll have the pattern right. Of course it's tailored to my size right now, but if I gave the finished measurements I wonder if it's worth sharing the pattern instructions? Is anyone interested? Even though both cardigans haven't been work worthy I have worn them every minute outside of work (especially the gray one). The shape is comfortable while keeping your neck warm and the option of wearing it either open or closed is really practical. I've designed it for a light worsted yarn so it's not too bulky but definitely warm.



As for reading, I had eagerly awaited the day when Irma Voth would be in paperback. During my wait I spotted it at the library on a 7-day loan but knew I couldn't read it that quick, so my patience was extended. I have really enjoyed Miriam Toews other novels (A Complicated Kindness and Swing Low: A Life especially) so I was expecting a lot. Which is never good. Too much hype for movies generally ruins the experience and yet that's just what I did to myself this time. Don't get me wrong, I still enjoyed the story and thought the characters were very compelling (loved the insane director - just like Billy from HBO's Entourage). It just wasn't mind-blowing. It was good. If you haven't read any of Toews' novels, it's a great introduction to her. And then I would suggest picking up Swing Low, which is a heartbreaking memoir of Toews' own father. She is one of my favourite writers, hands down. And Canadian to boot.

For more stories of knitting and reading visit today's Yarnalong.

7 comments :

little macaroon. said... [Reply to comment]

gosh, that cardigan is stunning! maybe once I lose my extra (and ever expanding) baby tummy, I will eventually knit something for myself - I'd be so proud if anything came out that nicely.

amanda {the habit of being} said... [Reply to comment]

i think your cardigan is lovely!

Spinneretta said... [Reply to comment]

Oh it is just beautiful... really lovely :)

karen said... [Reply to comment]

Gorgeous sweater and I love the way it fits :)

Evelyn said... [Reply to comment]

Excellent tweaks!

Anonymous said... [Reply to comment]

Beautiful!

Greer said... [Reply to comment]

Yes, yes, yes, it's gorgeous.