Friday, June 29, 2012


Not the best photos, but oh well. We're clearing out our basement, finishing up school and generally trying to keep reno stress under control so I can't get picky about photos. I'm just thankful I managed to finish a sewing project at all.

This is my own pattern, partly drafted from an Anthropologie shirt I liked the fit of. But even after taking in the A-line of the shirt quite a bit, the result is still a bit too swingy. Also, I need to add another half inch to the armholes (my bra straps keep peeking through). Those two fixes aside, I quite like it. It's a style I can wear to work with or without a cardigan and I'm really happy with the neck and front ties. That was my addition, and it was surprisingly easy to figure out. I should try a fabric with more drape though, this cotton is a bit stiff (it was the colour that I couldn't resist). Button selection stalled me for a while, but I finally decided on some vintage buttons from a button card a dear friend gave me long ago. I loved the Parisian card so much that I had had it in a shadow box frame. Needless to say, it's an empty frame now.

The things we'll do for sewing projects, right?


Evelyn said... [Reply to comment]

Well done! Great mods and while the top may be more swingy than you want, I still think it looks great and is an excellent addition to your summer wardrobe.

lamb-things said... [Reply to comment]

Great blouse samantha, I love the tie and the colour.

Ellen said... [Reply to comment]

I'm visiting a bit late - I like the swing and the tie in front, but I especially like the hemline with the added panel. Recently, I've been trying to copy certain shirts that I like (but are too small). I've taken shirts apart at the seams to use as a pattern that I can upsize. But I'm a new clothing sewer and have been trying to search youtube for helpful videos. It's not easy to make - especially trying to figure out darts and armholes.

You've done a nice job.