Tuesday, October 13, 2015

pattern release


Did I just type the words "pattern release"?

Yep, and I also just had to catch my breath as soon as I typed them. Because instantly my heart started racing and I got a little shaky. I've got a whole bunch of emotions swirling around, but one thing is for certain: a sewing pattern that I've been working on has been released today. Gasp.

Okay, with that now said, let me fill in the story.

About a year ago I was tinkering with a tunic design when Elizabeth, the amazing woman behind Squam Art Workshops, suggested a collaboration to make this pattern available to others. I was thrilled at the idea - and also terrified - but Elizabeth's "let's just try it" attitude was SO inspiring. We jumped in even though it was an entirely new project for both of us. A few roadblocks and many revisions later, I can wholeheartedly say that the journey towards today's release has been...wonderful.

The pattern is called the West Water Tunic, fittingly named for one of the cabins at Squam. As a garment, it's simple, comfortable and customizable. I have a strong bias for sewing the tunic with Robert Kaufman's Essex Yarn Dyed Linen (my closet and Instagram feed can attest to that!) but I can't wait to see it made with other fabrics. Personally I've lined up some fine wale corduroy for my next one.


As for the "terrified" bit of the story, I must admit that putting something out there in the world is scary. My inner voice keeps asking, what if I missed a spelling mistake? What if my way of writing instructions is really unclear? What if I get called out for not being a professional something-or-other? Fingers crossed this kind of paranoia is natural. To distract myself from worrying, I'm trying to focus on what I've learned through this collaboration. Skills like grading to layout design are great, but they actually give way to a much bigger lesson, and one that I should have learned - or better yet, realized - long ago: I love designing clothes. Not just making, actually designing. It might sound small, but it's quite a significant acknowledgment for me. And I have Elizabeth, and this project, and the very fact that I attended Squam in 2014 to thank for it.

But enough about my inner dialogue, there's a pattern to share! More information about the digital and paper version of West Water Tunic pattern can be found at the Squam site here, and Elizabeth's pitch perfect introduction is here.

Phew, secret project officially shared. And now I've got some corduroy to wash up and start cutting out. 

Happy sewing!

(And wow, thank you, thank you Elizabeth - for your courage, patience, kind words and excellent vision. You're simply amazing.)

29 comments :

Unknown said... [Reply to comment]

Yeah Sam! So happy to see this Sam Lamb-Squam collaboration! I'm tempted to make it - even though I don't tend to sew a straight line.

Jane said... [Reply to comment]

It's lovely! Congratulations! Will it be more widely available later?

Deb said... [Reply to comment]

Hi Sam,
Lovely tunic! How do you think this would work with a shorter length?

Anonymous said... [Reply to comment]

I just saw your pattern/blog, and wanted to congratulate you, this is fantastic! I don't know if you remember me, but I was one of your roommates at Squam, and always greatly admired your work.

Lisa

Nadia M. said... [Reply to comment]

Congrats Sam! Beautiful patter and so versatile.

sam lamb said... [Reply to comment]

@Jane Hi Jane! Thanks for your kind words! The digital version is available right away, but for now the paper pattern is only available through mail order (though sometimes I prefer that over having to visit a shop!).

Definitely hope the paper pattern lands in a shop or two someday!

sam lamb said... [Reply to comment]

@Deb Hi Deb! Actually, my first few iterations were much shorter, mainly because I'm only 5'2". The pockets wouldn't be necessary, but I quite like the look of a shorter length that sits well above the hips, skimming the tops of jeans back pockets. And because of the A-line shape, it's a pretty simple adjustment - just cut the front and back shorter and hem as usual!

sam lamb said... [Reply to comment]

@Anonymous Oh Lisa, of course I remember you! I had such a wonderful time in our cabin, and I loved getting to know you. Did you go to Squam in September? I heard from Naomi that she was going then, and I imagine fall would be a lovely time to go. Ahh, Squam.

Hope all is well, and thanks so much for the support!

Deb said... [Reply to comment]

Thanks Sam for your reply -- I will give it a go!!!

ailsa d said... [Reply to comment]

This is the pattern I've been waiting for! Treated myself to the printed version so look forward to receiving it in November. Thanks so much and well done x

tania said... [Reply to comment]

I love this!! congratulations it's wonderful! :)

by Annie Claire said... [Reply to comment]

This is so incredible Sam, its so my style I snapped it right up! What wonderful Kaufman shade are you wearing here?

sam lamb said... [Reply to comment]

@tania oh wow tania, thank you!

sam lamb said... [Reply to comment]

@by Annie Claire i'm so tickled that you like it - i can't wait to see what you do with the pattern! i used the "black" essex in the photo above, which is actually lighter than the "charcoal" option. both are AWESOME. really, you can't go wrong with any shade of this fabric!

Melissa said... [Reply to comment]

Hi Sam,

I bought this pattern right after it came out and I've stitched my first one. It's just a gorgeous design!

I just did a blog post so I thought you might like to see it. http://aclosetfullofposies.blogspot.ca/2015/05/mmm-2015-day-13.html

Cheers,
Melissa

sam lamb said... [Reply to comment]

@Melissa Melissa - I love everything about your muslin - from the fabric choice, to the contrast bias facing to how it looks with the short sleeved shirt underneath! Thanks SO much for trying the pattern.

lamb-things said... [Reply to comment]

Samantha, as usual you continue to amaze me and make me so proud to be your mom. The pattern is wonderful, congratulations.

LizzieL said... [Reply to comment]

I really like this pattern - I think tunics are so useful. They can cover up a multitude of sins! But please tell me how I can follow you - I can't see a way to do it.

Lizzie (UK)

sam lamb said... [Reply to comment]

@Lizzie L Hi Lizzie! I totally agree about tunics and what they can cover - my sewing has been focused on "operation: cover belly" for some time now! And thanks for asking about a follow feature. I had never even thought about that but it was pretty easy to add in. Check the side bar now and there should be a place to enter your email.

And I'll try to be a more regular poster in 2016!

www.1writingservice.com said... [Reply to comment]

This is amazing dress! It looks so chick, and you can definitely wear it for work or for a walk or to the cinema! Lovely thing.

Unknown said... [Reply to comment]

Hi Sam - Such a great pattern! Congratulations to you and Elizabeth for your wonderful collaborative work. I've signed up for a 6-session sewing class this spring and the West Water Tunic is the first project on my list! I'm attending Squam in September (first time!) with plans to pack a wardrobe primarily of handmade frocks n' knitted/crochet shawls... and, of course, a favorite pair of jeans. Can't wait to make and wear the WWT! Now for the fun of finding fabrics! xo Barb (IG: stixandstring Blog: whereshewandersblog.wordpress.com)

Unknown said... [Reply to comment]

I have read your article and it is informative and helpful for me. I appreciate the valuable information you have presented in your article, thanks for the great and very helpful information. This is an ad post I like a lot of beautiful and beautiful designs.
เที่ยวภาคใต้

คนสวย2019 said... [Reply to comment]

ฉีดเผาผลาญไขมัน




ของใหม่





ฉีดลดแฟตที่ปลอดภัยและก็







มีคุณภาพ



ที่สุดในโลกที่ศิลปิน



ฮอลลีวู้ดใช้ รับรอง









ผลสรุป







กับการฉีดลดแฟตที่เยี่ยมที่สุด









ได้ผล



เยอะที่สุด





ในโลกจากอังกฤษ



ยุโรป อเมริกาแล้วก็







กาหลีตัวยาที่ทรงอำนาจ





ที่สุดในตอนนี้




ฉีดสลายไขมัน
meso fat

Leonardi linken said... [Reply to comment]

I am really happy to say it’s an interesting post to read. I learn new information from your article, you are doing a great job. Keep it up
NIntendo eshop gift cards code

UFA888 said... [Reply to comment]


This are new articles stylse for you. https://sbo98bet.wixsite.com/sbo98bet/post/%E0%B8%AA%E0%B8%A1-%E0%B8%84%E0%B8%A3-ufabet amazin555 http://foxz98bet.over-blog.com/ufabet-6 It might help you to write or think some new idea.
https://dafa98bet.weebly.com/36263617363335883619362636173634359436363585/-ufabet8326348 Thanks for sharing such a wonderful post.
https://w88-com.jimdofree.com/2020/09/01/%E0%B8%AA%E0%B8%A1-%E0%B8%84%E0%B8%A3-ufabet/ I am very glad for reading my articles.

UFA888 said... [Reply to comment]



This Is Really Useful And Nices Information. เสือมังกรมือถือ
This are such great articles. เสือมังกรมือถือ This articles can help you to make some new ideas.
https://soccersurfer98.hatenablog.com/entry/2020/09/02/132139?_ga=2.193217001.552343305.1598844608-1286484823.1596077192 I appreciate for reading my blogs.


Brad Pitt said... [Reply to comment]

Thank a lot for this post that was very interesting. Keep posting like those amazing posts, this is really awesome :)
Looking for Custom T-shirt Printing, visit on:
T shirt Printing

Also Read -
7 Perfect Uses of Custom T-shirts and Hoodies
6 Ways How to Prepare Artwork for T-Shirt Printing in Mumbai
4 types of Inks used for Custom T-shirt Printing
Different Types of T-shirt Printing
Is there a Reliable Company to Print Custom T-shirts?
Benefits of Having a Company Logo on T-shirts
5 Reasons Why Couple Shirts Are Best Gifts for Couples

Rosario Tracy said... [Reply to comment]

Considerably, the article is really the freshest on this worthy topic. I agree with your conclusions and can thirstily look forward to your forthcoming updates. Saying thanks definitely will not just be sufficient, for the huge lucidity in your writing. I am glad to share a brilliant post about BSL Shaders pack for Minecraft which totally change your Minecraft world's appearance. I hope you will really enjoy this shader pack.

Eliza said... [Reply to comment]

Thanks for providing such nice information to us. The post is really helpful and very much thanks to you, I loved it very much. Your content is really amazing I would like to suggest to you something which is really interesting. You may visit here desmume speed up