Wednesday, August 15, 2012

of yarn and foxes


More small scale knitting, this time for a charming little guy named Charlie. He was born in May and already has a smile that melts hearts. This teeny hat is made from Mission Falls Superwash which has been discontinued for a while now. I stocked up last year on a few neutral colours and any red I found and it comes in handy for quick baby gifts. I mean, you can wash it! Awesome.


We were away in Prince Edward County last week and I managed to catch up on a lot of reading. The most fun novel by far was Mr. Fox by Helen Oyeyemi (unfortunately the shawl pattern I was trying wasn't nearly as enjoyable). I struggled keeping the characters' voices straight, but it didn't really matter. The storytelling was magical and quirky and addictive. Oh, and incredibly clever. So what for my lazy brain! I had visions of Wes Anderson's Fantastic Mr. Fox in my head most of the time I was reading this, but considering the cover and the fairytale structure, it probably wasn't so far off. I think the premise - the emotional reckoning of a male writer who always kills off his female characters - is such an compelling idea. Oyeyemi's style is refreshing and original, and I was reminded of my first introduction to Jeanette Winterson. Totally fun.

But the shawl...not so much. For more knitting and reading stories, visit today's Yarnalong.

3 comments :

Greer said... [Reply to comment]

That's about the sweetest little hat I've ever seen. I'll have to check out that book now too x

Evelyn said... [Reply to comment]

Mission Falls is one of my faves, too, and when I saw that it was being discontinued, I stocked up. Lovely wee hat ... so sweet.

Syntax and Salt said... [Reply to comment]

I'm reading this book right now :) Also, really enjoy reading your blog. (KCWC yields so much new reading material!)