Friday, April 11, 2008

reading challenge #8



It feels a bit like cheating, but I chose a children's book for my Yukon portion of the challenge. Truth be told, it was downright exciting to get this in the mail from Amazon, probably more so than the novels. I mean look at those colours! This is Children of the Yukon by Ted Harrison, and although the content is years ahead of Sadie's interest, she was captivated by the paintings (especially the ones with purple and pink skies). And the best part is that I learned a lot about the Yukon that I never knew while getting to enjoy the wonderful illustrations. On a whole it may scream 1977 (the year it was published) but hey, I'm a child of the 70's and it feels perfect to me.

A very simple knitting comparison: although I have never posted the final garment, I knit the Swing Thing coat for Sadie in a very colourful Noro yarn. The striping effect resulted in a truly technicolour sweater for my little girl, and this book reminds me completely of the whole experience, especially watching the stripes take shape in my hands. And something tells me that a sweater just might come in handy in the Yukon.

3 comments :

KR said... [Reply to comment]

I adore children's books! That one looks like a fabulous read. There is just something special about running your fingers over the brightly colored pages, and feeling the excitement and imagination seeping through. :)

Kristin
http://homegrownrose.typepad.com/reclaimingthehome

Tracy said... [Reply to comment]

oh i heart ted harrison! i have his canadian alphabet and the girls adore it.

must say your reading has inspired me - just asked my girlfriend up in mb to send me the toews book!

John Mutford said... [Reply to comment]

I'm so glad to see a children's book represented in the challenge.

I'm also glad to see a Ted Harrison book. As you might remember, I picked a Robert Service book, illustrated by Harrison, to be a final prize. I've been a long time fan of both. I contacted Harrison later and he was kind enough to donate an autographed copy.