Sunday, February 26, 2006

wool explosion




Once upon a time I was addicted to knitting miniature sweaters. I really thought my knitting would stay small and repetitive, but something has gone terribly wrong. Here is a sweater for Sadie, partly based on the idea of the boat neck baby sweater from Debbie Bliss' Baby Knits but knit without a pattern which explains its HUGEness. At least she'll get two winters out of it, and by next year that tiny ponytail might actually stay in her hair (they last about 7 minutes now!) And then if that wasn't enough, my good friend Elizabeth at the addictive Elizaboothy started the Swing Thing from Magknits and I felt compelled to try it too, so at the height of Saturday's windstorm Sadie and I walked to Knitomatic and picked multicoloured Noro for it. You can see the yoke almost finished in the left side of the third photo. The rest of the wool pictured is from a trip today to Romni; the rust Silky Wool is for me to try a top-down raglan, and the mauve Jo Sharp is reserved for Sadie, because I'm sure I'll figure out something else to knit for her.

I've completely lost control.

3 comments :

Elizabeth said... [Reply to comment]

Sam, you are awesome!!! That sweater is adorable -- I say go ahead and make 'em big because it's heartbreaking when they grow out of them. And Noro is a great choice for swing thing -- I wish I had thought of that myself. I'm really enjoying Swing Thing, it's a fun knit, no?

You are so addicted to knitting now! I love it.

lamb-things said... [Reply to comment]

samantha, you and elizaboothy are turning me into a knitting addict. I can't help it, I'm hooked and will probably go out today and buy more yarn for no reason. The laundry is in and as soon as it's done, I'm outta here. I love sadie's sweater and her 7 minute pony-tail...

swan-artegan said... [Reply to comment]

Hey my talented niece, I love the style of that sweater and I love it on Sadie! Your knitting is amazing and I can't believe how quickly you get things made. Can't wait to see what you make with your new wool puchases.