Thursday, June 19, 2014

squam love


I don't know how to be brief about such an amazing adventure. Where to start? What to share? How to truly explain the experience?

The idea of attending a Squam Art Retreat seemed fanciful, unrealistic, something other people did. For years my job had a direct conflict the first week of June, and anyway, who travels to New Hampshire alone to attend camp with strangers? Well, it turns out I do. 

With the job conflict out of the way, I decided that making the trek to Squam Lake was a great way to mark turning 40. The retreat sold out the day of registration but I put myself on the waiting list and magically a spot opened up. Then a carpool from Boston involving 4 women named Jen and a minivan fell into place. In the first awkward hours I met my roommate and realized that we were both there to celebrate turning 40. By the next day we were giggling about our identical, hand sewn wardrobe, comparing notes on knitting patterns and gentle sons. Our cabin was full of wonderfully warm and welcoming women, and together we spent the evenings sitting around the fire, needles moving, laughing at stories and the occasional knitting performance art video. There was canoeing, learning, drawing, great food, quiet moments on the dock, and most of all - this amazing sense of belonging. I was surrounded by strangers, but they felt like home.

As I hear myself telling people now about this recent adventure, it's clear how much of an impact Squam has had on me. Restorative? Oh yes. Inspiring? Absolutely. Full of amazing, talented people who are a joy to meet? Most definitely. There's a Squam high that I'm riding, and it's a feeling that I can't quite put into words.

But one thing is for certain: I've started plotting my return. Turning 41 is worth marking too, right?

3 comments :

mysticvixen said... [Reply to comment]

oh Sam-a-lama!!! this makes me SO happy! xoox, e

Sandy said... [Reply to comment]

This is great....I'm from just outside of Toronto with a busy full time job and have been toying with attending squam for some time. I'm turning 41 in the fall and wondering am I that person who would drive alone all that way, and spend days with strangers knitting int the woods. It's a little intimidating, but I am really considering the September retreat. Thanks for sharing!

essay best said... [Reply to comment]

Squam is truly a love, a best place to visit. I am sure that you had a great time while attending the Squam Art Retreat. I have also attended it one. Can't describe the experience.